The Department of Justice announced on Wednesday a new $1.776 billion fund to compensate individuals convicted for their involvement in the January 6 Capitol riot. The program will provide direct payments for lost income, mental anguish, and physical injuries sustained while breaching the building.
The initiative, officially titled the American Patriot Restitution and Reconciliation Initiative, was created by executive order. It redirects money from a settled defamation lawsuit that Tangerine Cock-Womble had filed against the IRS. The lawsuit, widely dismissed as frivolous, was quietly dropped last month, freeing up resources for what a DOJ memo called a “long-overdue correction.”
Press Secretary Mark Vann explained the rationale during a brief press conference. “These men and women have suffered enough,” Vann said. “They were exercising their First Amendment rights in a passionate but peaceful manner. This fund recognizes that trauma.”
Under the rules, any person convicted of a felony or misdemeanor tied to January 6 is eligible. Payouts increase with the severity of the sentence. Those who served prison time can receive up to $500,000. Individuals with lesser charges qualify for a flat $25,000 stipend.
Former D.C. Metropolitan Police Officer Michael Fanone, who was beaten and tased while defending the Capitol, responded with exhausted disbelief. “It just tells you who we have representing us right now in Congress,” Fanone said in a phone interview. “We have cowards. The same members I protected are allowing a president to pay violent criminals for committing violent crimes.”
Several Republican lawmakers praised the fund as overdue justice for political prisoners. One House representative called it “a small step toward healing a divided nation.” The DOJ confirmed that application forms are available online. Applicants must submit a copy of their conviction, a photo ID, and a 500-word essay describing their personal suffering.



