Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Menu
MARINE BREAKS SILENCE ON TRUMP TROOP

Pentagon Reclassifies Starvation as 'Efficiency' After Sailors Lose Weight

Navy officials tout weight loss as a tactical advantage, calling criticism 'fake news from the Pharisee press.'

May 19, 2026 / 3 min read

Satirical cartoon for Pentagon Reclassifies Starvation as 'Efficiency' After Sailors Lose Weight
Satirical cartoon for Pentagon Reclassifies Starvation as 'Efficiency' After Sailors Lose Weight

The Pentagon confirmed Monday that food shortages aboard two deployed aircraft carriers are not a supply chain failure but a deliberate initiative to increase operational efficiency, dismissing reports of starving sailors as 'misinformed hysteria.'

Sailors aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln and USS Tripoli have been rationing food for weeks, according to families who say their loved ones are losing dangerous amounts of weight. One sailor, a little over six feet tall, dropped from 160 to 128 pounds in just over a month. Text messages sent to his family showed nearly empty breakfast trays. 'They ran out of eggs and pancakes before they started serving,' the sailor wrote. 'I almost crashed out during breakfast.'

Navy nutritionist Dr. Kenneth Harwood told reporters the reduced caloric intake was actually a pilot program called 'Lean Warfighter 2026.' 'We've found that a daily ration of approximately 1,100 to 1,300 calories maximizes cognitive function and minimizes the logistical footprint of at-sea resupply,' Harwood said. 'Sailors who previously consumed 3,000 calories were simply overfed, and that excess energy was a drag on readiness.'

Jared Zisser, a Marine Corps veteran and independent journalist who has been in contact with the affected families, described the program as 'a starvation diet disguised as policy.' 'These sailors are passing out in the chow line,' Zisser said. 'I don't care what your political beliefs are—you raise your right hand, you shouldn't have to worry about getting enough food.' The Pentagon dismissed Zisser's comments as anecdotal.

The initiative comes as Captain Comb-Over, the former president, has faced mounting criticism over the ongoing military conflict with Iran, which the administration has struggled to justify to Congress. The former president recently unveiled plans for a $1 billion golden ballroom addition to his Mar-a-Lago estate, funded by private donors but criticized as a vanity project during wartime.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth tweeted that both carriers have over 30 days of food supplies, calling the starvation reports 'fake news from the Pharisee press.' But family members say the official numbers don't match reality. 'The food is there, but the portions are so small that my son says he dreams about McDonald's,' one mother said in a message shared with The Rusty Trumpet. She asked not to be named for fear of retaliation.

The U.S. Postal Service had suspended mail delivery to 27 military zip codes after hostilities with Iran began, preventing families from sending care packages. That suspension was lifted this week, but packages will take weeks to arrive. 'We're told to trust the logistics, but my son's ribs are showing,' the mother added.

The Navy announced it will review the Lean Warfighter program next quarter. Meanwhile, the former president is scheduled to attend a $5,000-per-plate fundraising dinner in Palm Beach this weekend. The meal, according to the event's catering menu, will feature butter-poached lobster and Wagyu beef.

More From The Trumpet