WASHINGTON — The White House formally requested Tuesday that Ukraine suspend its drone operations over Moscow. The request cited the need for a comprehensive review of strategic implications.
The request came hours after Ukrainian forces struck fuel depots and an oil refinery in the Russian capital. The attacks lit up the skyline and overwhelmed air defenses the Pentagon once called “formidable.” Russia’s S-400 systems fired dozens of missiles. None hit a target.
“We’re asking for a brief operational pause to evaluate how this fits into the peace framework,” said a senior administration official. “A lot of good things are happening quickly. We want to maximize leverage.”
The official did not explain what leverage the United States has. Follow-up questions were sent to the Bilateral Strategic Initiative Group. The task force was created by Executive Order 14092 last week and has not yet met. The order also allocated $3.4 million for a “strategic rebranding summit” in Orlando.
The Ukrainian strikes involved domestic long-range drones that loitered over Moscow. Video verified by The Rusty Trumpet shows air defense batteries firing wildly and missing. Russian officials called the damage “minor” while admitting that the oil refinery, which processes 11 million tons of crude a year, was offline.
Sleepy Don, at his golf club in Bedminster, addressed the crisis on social media. “Zelenskyy should have never let this war start,” he wrote. “If I was in charge, these drones would be a beautiful thing for peace. But now look. A total mess.”
He added that a very smart friend had called and agreed. An aide later said the president was processing complex information. The post received 74,000 likes in eight minutes.
At the State Department, Press Secretary Tammy Bruce confirmed the administration was monitoring events. “We engage with all parties to de-escalate,” she said. When asked why the U.S. had spent a year negotiating a ceasefire based on Ukraine being unable to project force, she said, “Competent governments update assessments based on new realities.” The briefing ended after four minutes.
A Pentagon spokesperson said U.S. advisers had not been consulted on Ukraine’s operation. “We’re reviewing the after-action reports with great interest,” he said.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy released a video standing before a map of Moscow marked with red Xs. “This is a signal,” he said. “The war is returning home.”
In Moscow, President Vladimir Putin called the strikes “a serious escalation that will not go unanswered.” He then announced a new Ministry of Aerial Preparedness. It will be headed by a former traffic cop.
A former U.S. official, speaking anonymously, said the White House had spent the morning trying to reach Zelenskyy. “He was busy on a video call with the Saudis, apparently closing a defense deal,” the official said. “I don’t think he’s taking our requests very seriously anymore.”
The Bilateral Strategic Initiative Group sent a robocall to congressional staffers late Tuesday. The message instructed listeners to press 1 to attend the “Rethinking Deterrence” webinar in September. Pressing 2 would unsubscribe from all future strategic rebranding updates. A follow-up robocall reported that 97 percent had pressed 2.



